i would first like to say thank you to everyone for the birthday wishes, i can't believe yuki is already two!!
on to the cake.....
this summer yuki had raspberries for the first time and discovered she loved them. i thought i would incorporate them into her cake this year. i made this into a two layer cake. it wasn't really necessary to do so, since yuki and rocket split one slice, one having either the top or bottom layer. also, if you value your personal belongings, you should feed this to them outside or on top of an approved surface since these raspberries like to stain.
yuki's raspberry birthday cake
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour ( i use bob's red mill, that i purchased at a local health food store)
1/2 cup brown rice flour
2 tbsp flax meal
2 tsp baking powder
6 tbsp organic virgin coconut oil + more for pan(s)
1/3 cup raspberries, chopped, plus more for decoration
1 cup fat free milk
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
preheat oven to 350 f. grease a cake pan with some coconut oil. you can use one pan, but i used two small ones.
1. in a large bowl combine flours, flax, and baking powder.
2. stir in the oil then gently fold in the raspberries.
3. in a separate small bowl, mix milk, vanilla, honey, and egg.
4. pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until just combined.
5. pour batter into prepared cake pans. bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
6. let cake(s) cool completely. i 'frosted' the cakes with organic yogurt, and decorated with raspberries. if you use yogurt make sure it is not one with artificial sugar. refrigerate.